ANY ONE KNOW IF THE WHEELCHAIR CLASSIC IS BEING HELD THIS YEAR?

THE WHEELCHAIR BASKETBALL CLASSIC "back in the day" was a can't miss event for NYC players & fans. SRO crowds were the norm. All the participants learned a great lesson about "giving back" since the proceeds from the two night tournament went to provide equipment (Wheelchairs-breathing machines) & services for the crippled  patients at Goldwater Hospital. 

There used to be numerous stories about the Classic in the Daily News, the N.Y. Post & even the New York Times. ABC & Eye Witness News even covered a visit to the Hospital & came back to report on the first night of games. What started out in packed high school gyms (Mater Christi & later Christ the King) moved onto equally crowded events at LIU & St. John's & was even held at MSG back in the 90's for a couple of years.

What happened? I really can't answer that. I just wish the tourney was promoted better & received the publicity &  support it deserves.  If you have any info on the Tourney- post it on here.

Views: 548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It would help the tournament (officially it's a 2 night 4 team elimination) IF the organizer were more organized & got their dates & locations out there sooner so the outside (AAU- Grass Roots- Travel Team- whatever) teams/coaches could plan their schedules & know when their player or players were needed. Communication is key here & that's a 2 way street from the organizers to the coaches from the schools & the "outside" guys & back.

I know from experience many yeas ago, that once a coach from any where & their players visit the hospital & meet some of the patients the game was established to help, that they'll instantly recognize why these games are so important. I plan to check out the first night of the boy's games Wednesday @ Molloy. Hope many will do the same.

Who are the young men and women playing in the Wheelchair Event???

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10Co7XCJxdTdnyv2xa80W4nqxe1GBQVe...

Cheez Ezenekwe said:

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR BOYS ROSTERS: 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10Co7XCJxdTdnyv2xa80W4nqxe1GBQVe...

Cheez Ezenekwe said:

WHEELCHAIR CLASSIC RESULTS: The Long Island High School All-Star Team stunned the host Queens All-Stars 107 - 60 to advance the Championship Game of the 43rd Annual Wheelchair Classic All-Star Basketball Tournament held this year at Archbishop Molloy High School.  A combined Manhattan/Bronx All-Star Team held off a Brooklyn rally to take a 95-85 decision in the other semifinal. The Championship Game will start at 7:45 PM tonight, May 4th, again at Archbishop Molloy. The tournament raises money to purchase wheelchairs for the disabled and has featured almost all of the Metro Area's all-time greats over the years.

I attended the Wednesday night games & the turn-out was disappointing. An unofficial head count had just over 100 "fans" in the seats at the start of the 2nd game. A total of about 52 players participated in the games & in my old school mind I was shocked at the almost total absence of the player's high school coaches NOT in attendance. 

If this very worthy game is ever to recover it's prestige and become the end of season high light it used to be, the organizers have to take the initiative and institute a "many months" effort to make the WHEELCHAIR CLASSIC a  celebration of the "City Game". Here are some suggestions:

1.) Form a Committee of H.S. coaches who were former NYC H.S. players who participated in the games "back in the day" and are now area high school coahes.

Tiny Morton"-Lincoln", Lawrence Pollard & Sheldon Jefferson of "Jefferson", Robert Phelps "Bedford Academy" & Shawnell Scott of "Millenium H.S." are just a few who come to mind. My apologies to anyone I left out. If you played in the Wheelchair & are currently coaching a high school team, THEN STEP UP & get involved! Encourage your male & female players to participate. Promote the games in your school and community.

2.) Reach out to one or two area colleges who have Under Graduate or Graduate programs in Sport's Administration & Sport's Marketing and Sport's "Reporting" (Print & TV) and ask their Program Director to use the WHEELCHAIR as an "annual project" for the college students to organize & promote the hell out of it. Press Releases, Marketing ideas, Contests for the Best Poster in a School. Reach Out of Sponsors & get a hip/hop, R&B Radio station involved to sponsor & promote youth & adult involvement with the WHEELCHAIR cause.

3.) The organizers have to reach out ( A simple letter is a start) to the NCAA & get the "Tournament" sanctioned and played during the LIVE PERIOD so NCAA coaches can attend. The tournament DOESN'T COUNT as an All-Star Event, so there's NO restriction on the BEST players participating.

4.) Reach out to local politicians & community Newspapers & get them to support the games through promoting the involvement of the H.S. players from those neighborhoods.

5.) Build the fan base by reaching out to Youth Teams sponsored by the PAL, CYO , YMCA , etc. & get each league to send Coaches & Teams to at least one night of the Tournament. Seeing the BEST H.S players should serve to inspire them to raise their game!

I hope some one is listening out there and can get this to the organizers. I plan to send it to them. This event needs to be a celebration of NYC Hoops. Many feel the City Game is not what it used to be. Maybe making the WHEELCHAIR GREAT AGAIN can change that perception.  

ps Don't forget having a PA system to announce the players. There was none at Wednesday night's games. 

Rich perhaps we can speak off-line in regards to some of your suggestions.  I know I'm not a big name coach as you suggested that should be involved with the games, but all the coaches work tremendously hard behind the scenes and make sure the players involved get the most out of their experience.  

Email me and we can chat. 

Rich Kosik said:

I attended the Wednesday night games & the turn-out was disappointing. An unofficial head count had just over 100 "fans" in the seats at the start of the 2nd game. A total of about 52 players participated in the games & in my old school mind I was shocked at the almost total absence of the player's high school coaches NOT in attendance. 

If this very worthy game is ever to recover it's prestige and become the end of season high light it used to be, the organizers have to take the initiative and institute a "many months" effort to make the WHEELCHAIR CLASSIC a  celebration of the "City Game". Here are some suggestions:

1.) Form a Committee of H.S. coaches who were former NYC H.S. players who participated in the games "back in the day" and are now area high school coahes.

Tiny Morton"-Lincoln", Lawrence Pollard & Sheldon Jefferson of "Jefferson", Robert Phelps "Bedford Academy" & Shawnell Scott of "Millenium H.S." are just a few who come to mind. My apologies to anyone I left out. If you played in the Wheelchair & are currently coaching a high school team, THEN STEP UP & get involved! Encourage your male & female players to participate. Promote the games in your school and community.

2.) Reach out to one or two area colleges who have Under Graduate or Graduate programs in Sport's Administration & Sport's Marketing and Sport's "Reporting" (Print & TV) and ask their Program Director to use the WHEELCHAIR as an "annual project" for the college students to organize & promote the hell out of it. Press Releases, Marketing ideas, Contests for the Best Poster in a School. Reach Out of Sponsors & get a hip/hop, R&B Radio station involved to sponsor & promote youth & adult involvement with the WHEELCHAIR cause.

3.) The organizers have to reach out ( A simple letter is a start) to the NCAA & get the "Tournament" sanctioned and played during the LIVE PERIOD so NCAA coaches can attend. The tournament DOESN'T COUNT as an All-Star Event, so there's NO restriction on the BEST players participating.

4.) Reach out to local politicians & community Newspapers & get them to support the games through promoting the involvement of the H.S. players from those neighborhoods.

5.) Build the fan base by reaching out to Youth Teams sponsored by the PAL, CYO , YMCA , etc. & get each league to send Coaches & Teams to at least one night of the Tournament. Seeing the BEST H.S players should serve to inspire them to raise their game!

I hope some one is listening out there and can get this to the organizers. I plan to send it to them. This event needs to be a celebration of NYC Hoops. Many feel the City Game is not what it used to be. Maybe making the WHEELCHAIR GREAT AGAIN can change that perception.  

ps Don't forget having a PA system to announce the players. There was none at Wednesday night's games. 

Coach Newman- sent you a request for "Friend's Status via nycbasketball so we could exchange messages. Never heard back- so you can reach me @  Booksnball@aol.com

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

VIDEO ARCHIVES

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

@PSALBasketball

Music

Loading…

Badge

Loading…