ANY ONE KNOW IF THE WHEELCHAIR CLASSIC IS BEING HELD THIS YEAR?

THE WHEELCHAIR BASKETBALL CLASSIC "back in the day" was a can't miss event for NYC players & fans. SRO crowds were the norm. All the participants learned a great lesson about "giving back" since the proceeds from the two night tournament went to provide equipment (Wheelchairs-breathing machines) & services for the crippled  patients at Goldwater Hospital. 

There used to be numerous stories about the Classic in the Daily News, the N.Y. Post & even the New York Times. ABC & Eye Witness News even covered a visit to the Hospital & came back to report on the first night of games. What started out in packed high school gyms (Mater Christi & later Christ the King) moved onto equally crowded events at LIU & St. John's & was even held at MSG back in the 90's for a couple of years.

What happened? I really can't answer that. I just wish the tourney was promoted better & received the publicity &  support it deserves.  If you have any info on the Tourney- post it on here.

Views: 563

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is being held. I believe the games start on May 3rd. I don't know the location. Tryouts have begun in the different boroughs.

yeah they are having it.I know queens had tryouts last week.hate to say it but its not once what it was.the best players dont play in it anymore.

Games will be held in Queens this year. Site to be determined.
May 1st, 2nd & 3rd

york college gym

Maybe??

Wheelchair Games will be held at Archbishop Molloy HS on May 2nd, 3rd & 4th

THANKS Coach Newman. If you get the times & boro match-ups, Please post them.

May 2nd
Girls Games:
5:30 Manhattan v. Brooklyn
6:45 Bronx v. Queens
8:00 Westchester v. Long Island

May 3rd
5:30 Third Place Girl Game
Boys Games:
6:45 Manhattan/Bronx v. Brooklyn
8:00 Queens v. Long Island

May 4th
5:30 Third Place Boys Game
6:45 Girls Finals
8:00 Boys Finals

When are tryouts for the Bronx? lol

Hearing through the grapevine that a good number of top playing are playing this year I think because the games are being played in May instead of April. Last year, many AAU coaches prevented their kids from participating. I'll post rosters when I get them. 

THANK YOU Thomas!

Thanks too all these dumb AAU teams the old school traditional "ALL STAR" games have been watered down over the years   

i cant refer to AAU teams as being "dumb" in general. 

its another example of HS & AAU coaches not talking; i'm sure AAU teams might give up some players
to these types of tournaments - did anyone ask them?? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

VIDEO ARCHIVES

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

@PSALBasketball

Music

Loading…

Badge

Loading…